My Runtrofunk Udderprise backup for the G4 is hanging up on the/a .DS_Store file. FUCK!!!
I've had no problems with it before. Some sorta someshit got corrupted somehow.
(hmmm... maybe my computer entered politics) Oh well, "Onward... Through the Fog" .
whatnot, but I had Retrospect set to compress the data so I'm not sure if that will help. I *am*
getting closer tho'. This last time it hung up on a file called svenska.html; which I recognize
as a system file (language). Still, It's the shits getting "oh so close" and then it bugs out on me.
Then again, what have I got to lose... If I have to rebuild from scratch; then rebuild I will! :^)
(another hot buttered roll first tho') (and a shot of bourbon)
the files from the source disk. I had problems going from image->disk in the
past, but disk->image always goes flawlessly (albeit slow). The image will
still mount on the desktop, and you can copy all the shit from the image to the
disk though. That's what I've done in the past, works great, and what I'ma do
when i get some more RAM for this machine.
Speaking of which... it's been -way- too long since I've done a backup of this
program came with your computer.
with (other than the system files; disk utility, etc.) stand alone apps. I've made BootCDs
with Wretchrospect, DiskWarrior, SpeedTools, on and on and on... and the only things
that I can ever get to run are Disk Utility and Sys Prefs and the like. That's not so bad tho'
because whenever there's a soft/security update I make a new BootCD which allows me to
"repair permissions" with the latest versions in case anything has changed.
At this point however, backing up is not the issue. What I'm trying to do is restore.
and the only way I can do that is to get Wretchrospect to work at least once. Either that
or I get out the 8 pound maul!
(I like retrospect. It is a good backup program. I don't know why it is wigging out.)
The catalogue file must have got corrupted somehow. Anyway I'm gonna keep trying.
If I can get a blessed restore I'll prolly use a different program after this crap-heap of fun.
I've restored twice before from this same backup set. What I liked (notice the past tense)
about it was that it was like the Showtime Rotisserie. I could just "set it and forget it". But it's
not working for me now. I just did some web scrounging(TM) and found several complaints
about this product and their support - or lack thereof. Anyways, I'm gonna try for a little while longer.
Don't ask me what or how because I'm not really sure.
But after running a bunch a utilities & repairs it finally worked.
I'm pretty sure the directorial confabalizer was mis-misalligned by
the magnetamical arraysion of the rising new moon.
(I'm going to use a different backup method hereafter however.)